Orari River Protection Group
The purpose of the Orari River Protection Group is to prevent any degradation of the Orari River.
One of the threats to the river is a proposed dam for an irrigation scheme, which will destroy the natural character of the river.
The purpose and objectives of the Orari River Protection Group (Incorporated)
- To protect the environmental and cultural integrity of the Orari River in its free flowing state
- To retain the gorge in its free-flowing state
- To retain the integrity of the river hydrology
- To maintain public access to the Orari River as an educational and recreational resource
- To advocate for greater protection of the upper Orari River and catchment in District and Regional plans
- To recognise the potential for over-allocation and advocate for the development of an Integrated Catchment Management plan.
The Orari River Protection Group is a member of ECO (Environment and Conservation Organisations of Aotearoa New Zealand).